Making a Difference

Friday, February 29, 2008

Comaco - Community Markets For Conservation - Zambia


One of the pleasures of my work is meeting people who are really trying to make a difference in the world. One example is Dale Lewis, who has started an incredibly effective organization in Zambia. Called COMACO for Community Markets for Conservation (http://www.itswild.org/) this organization has created income generating opportunities for villagers in north-eastern Zambia. In order to participate in COMACO, the villagers must agree to stop poaching of animals in nearby Nungwe National Park.

A number of teams from my International Business Development (IBD) program (http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/HaasGlobal/IBDindex.htm) have worked with Dale to develop and update COMACO's business plan. I was so impressed with COMACO's work that I travelled to Zambia in August, 2007, to see it first hand. As a result of my visit, I agreed to serve on COMACO's advisory board.

I believe that this model could be a prototype for many other poverty alleviation, hunger reducing and environmental conservation initiatives. It is well worth studying.